Installed SSMS Version Checker

Problem

SQL Server Management Studio 17.0 came out in April 25, 2017. Since then, several version and iterations have been released by Microsoft. Now the latest version of SSMS is 17.8.1.

We have also built several database servers for the past year. Every time we build a server we also install the latest copy of the SQL Server Management Studio on the server.


After a year, our servers have different versions of SQL Server Management Studio on them. We did not do a good job of keeping and upgrading our SSMS on the servers.


Since we have several environments (Development, Test, Stage and Production) it was hard to keep up with the version.

Solution

The good thing is that we can easily generate the list of our non-production and production database servers from our monitoring tools.

Now that I have the list of servers, all I need to do is figure out how to find out the version of SQL Server Management Studio that is installed on the servers.


So, I searched Google on how to get the software that are installed on a computer. I found the blog by Techibee, titled Powershell: Script to query softwares installed on remote computer. This made my life easier since he already have a script that can be wrapped as a module or function.


Now all I need to do is to loop though the list of servers and pass the names into my newly found script. But I also wanted my powershell script to look nice, so I used WPF to build a GUI powershell script.


Then I compiled my powershell script so that it will be executable using PS2EXE-GUI.


You can download the executable file here: https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/Installed-Software-Checker-48d967eb

or in github

UPDATE: Technet Gallery has been closed by Microsoft, you can view the archived version on 
Technet Gallery Archive.

No comments:

Post a Comment